Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Flintlocke


Another piece for the show at the Royal Gallery. I bought this replica muzzle loader in Florence, Italy when i was studying there. It was two years buy the time I got around to paint it. But I think it was worth the wait. The flowers were just as old but I was able to keep them in good condition to appear in this piece. The wood was a great find. My parents live by an abandoned cranberry bog in MA and its an old Ocean spray box from the 50s.
My method for this painting was with a loose charcoal drawing on the linen followed by a loose color lay in over it. The shadows were painted first along with all the rest of the darks. I gradually built up the large forms and moved into the smaller internal shapes.
I made sure i had fun with this painting playing around with edges and varying thicknesses of paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment